Friday, December 12, 2008

Port of New York, 1849

Letter to Hugh Maxwell, U.S. Collector, Port of New York is dated May 14th, 1849 and reads in part:

"The subscriber would respectfully present his name as one of the applicants for the office of Weights and Measures, which may be made vacant under your administration and refer you to the accompanying names as to his character and capability in discharging the duties of either office.
I have always been a resident of this city and now reside in the 9th Ward and have always voted the Whig ticket.

I have for the past six years been striving to maintain my family doing service as a Weigher and Measurer ...Hoping you will be pleased to give my application a favorable consideration and result in the consummation of my wishes

Signed by Charles S. Oakley.
The other original signatures on the document are:
(as the best I can make out: )

Silas C. Herring
Charles Crane
W.K. Beebe
Joseph F. Lippett
James R. BAll
....Mitchell
Schiffeling Brothers (?)
Stokes Gilbert
Wm K. Strong
Bleecker & Oothoul
Wm. Halsey & Co.
Abraham Van Orden "member of state legslature"
Thomas H. Brown
Blackwell
J. Howard & son
L.W. Stevens
Hyslop & Brother
David Graham.
(& others...)

"I fully concur....George Briggs, M.C. District New York (Member of Congress)
W. Gerard...

No comments: